Post by Jo, ICurvy
Today I’m tackling a heart-to-heart question from a reader. Re-entering the workforce after being a SAHM (Stay At Home Mum) for 9 years – she was looking for a little guidance putting together some office staples – which won’t have her looking like she’s wearing the same outfit everyday!
I got you girl! This is my jam!
You see, each November I run a styling challenge called Shop What You Got : basically you pick a capsule wardrobe of just 30 items and can wear only those items, mixed & matched, styled and restyled for the whole month.
Wearing more from less taught me lots about mixing and matching in ways to create plenty of great outfits from just a few items. Here’s my top tips!
1. Pick a colour palette. Whatever appeals to you, but with a colour palette by your side – it’s easy to pick items for your collection and it’s guaranteed to go with everything. It’s like a mix and match cheat card.
2. Start with some basics – skinny pants, pencil skirt, basic singlets
3. Pick some versatile pieces. Look for things that can be work more than one way (tucked in or out; buttoned all the way up or open neck)
4. Add personality through Shape; Pattern; and statement pieces. You don’t need much to add some punch to an outfit –
5. Never underestimate the power of accessories!
NEW LOOK – High Waisted Wide Leg Pant
$49 BUY NOW
NEW LOOK – Zip Detail Slim Leg Pant
$32 – BUY NOW
TARGET – Stretch Pencil Skirt
$29 BUY NOW
Add some Punch with Pattern
WAREHOUSE – Printed Long Sleeve Wrap Front Top
$85 BUY NOW
ASOS – T-Shirt With Crew Neck In Stripe – $22
$22 BUY NOW
Value through Versatile pieces
EBAY – Zip off blazer
$30 BUY NOW
Whether worn as full blazer, or zipped off into a crop jacket – this versatile piece will have you reinventing look after look. Stick with black for maximum value from this staple piece.
ONLY – Long Sleeve Lace Top – $53
$53 BUY NOW
The look of this top changes completely when the sleeves are covered – from simple V neck detail when paired with a blazer or cardigan, to statement lace when worn on it’s own.
Add a Dash of Colour
BOOHOO – Tia Checkerboard Knit Cardigan
$20 BUY NOW
ASOS – Midi A-line Split Detail Obi Belt Skirt
$64 BUY NOW
Polish off the collection with some statement accessories and you’ve got a versatile, interchangeable, mix and match capsule wardrobe!
PHOTOS [ASOS, ASOS, TARGET, WAREHOUSE, ASOS, EBAY, ASOS, BOOHOO, ASOS]
Like so many women, Jo found herself caught somewhere between standard sized and plus size fashion – an ‘Inbetweenie’ – and started her blog – iCurvy World – where the clothes are fabulous and everyone is welcome.
She truly believes that size is no barrier to style, and shares her own journey of body acceptance as she tries different styles and trends to find what fits. A new mum, Jo shares her style and adventures via Instagram , Facebook and on the blog at iCurvy World.